Sunday, January 8, 2012

first blog from lille!

hello everyone!

so, according to the little widget on my homepage, ive been in lille now for 3 days, but really, with the timechange, its more like 4, but what a few days it has been!


arriving in lille was no problem. we flew from toronto to zurich to paris - all in executive class... ahhh...to be able to sleep lying down after almost 48 hours of no sleep was soooooooo necessay. in paris, we met up with auntie monette in t2 of cdg where the train tickets to go to the rest of france can be found. then a pleasant hour trip across the french country side where green fields were only interupted by a cluster of small bldgs -ie a little town.

as predicted, getting the bags around prooved to be "interesting" at best. it consisted mainly of my mom trying to pull as many bags as possible, me attaching two to my knapsack (imagine a train and you might see me :) ) and auntie monette just trying to keep up. what it really turned out to be was a minor fiasco where mommy's push cart being overloaded and toppling over, my train breaking down and auntie monette pushing one along as she forged ahead.  i swear, if there was a camera watching us, they would have been on the floor laughing!

100 meters and 20 mins later, we reach the main floor. first impression of lille - brrrr is cold! and rainy! having already looked aheaf, i knew i had to get my metro card asap so that i could move around. with that, i left mommy and auntie monette by a heater near a cafe and left to go to lille flandre station to get my student card - but, to no avail. apparently, a 2€ check is necessary... hopefully i can ask either the person im staying with now or one of the students for it?

as for my current locationa, i'm renting a bed in someone's appartment in downtown lille. omg, i love living here. just downstairs there's a coffee bar. half a block later, a supermarket, one block  later, a major street for night life. oh and a theatre! now, if only it didnt take me 15 mins to get to the subway, 25 mins ride by subway (longer in metro) then another 20 mins walk minimum to my school  for a grnd total of 60 mins, full kilt and loads of sweat. ie, i cant live in dt lille because it takes too long to get to school :( oh, apparently my class schedule changes every week so apparently it will be harder to book ahead than i thought.

other than that, nothing much else to report other than, im happy and loving this experience thus far.

On the way to Lille from Paris CDG


My temporary accomodations in Lille:

 The Living Room or "Salon" in french

 My bedroom or, since it was really just partitioned off from the main living room, it's called a  "séjour"

 The kitchen or "la cuisine"

Part 1 of my morning commute, otherwise known as the stairs up to the 2nd floor (the equivalent of the 3rd by Canadian standards)

No comments:

Post a Comment