Sunday, January 8, 2012

Market day in lille

Its market day here in Lille. The major market is called Marche de wazemmes, where I am currently sitting in a small bistro called bistro de Bordeaux. There's a group of friend sitting in the cafe beside me catching up over a glass of rosé, and beside me, a couple just back from a trip. Here it doesn't matter what walk of life you come from, you're welcome. Off to the side, almost completely hidden save its steeple, is Eglise Sts. Pierre et Paul. Mass happens only 2 times 8:30 and 11. - both of which I missed because a) I was sleeping at 8:30 and b) I was lost in the market.

The market itself its sort of a mish-mash or pele-mele of colours, sounds, languages and smells. From the incessant smell of a lit cigarette nearby to the sounds of friends laughing or stalls opening or closing, this place is a feast for the senses. It consists of one building that has the meat and cheese and fish. Outside, even in the middle of their winter, and I say their winter because its only about 10 degrees outside, there are 2 main squares of activity. But, realistically, the activity spills over to the surrounding streets. The market starts super early in the morning and begins its shut down around 2pm. These squares hold everything from clothes and bags, to fresh flowers, to fruits and vegetables for the week, housewares and shoe insoles. Now that mommy and Auntie monette have gone, I wish they had had a chance to see this - they would have loved it.

Oh, and now, off to the side, a dancer or uh.... something else, looking for a new outfit but seemingly having forgotten to put on a pair of pants. A group of friends just sat down around me and I can't help it feel lucky to be able to observe people at close range. They're nice. Curious about canada,. Weather, school, what I'm doing here, etc. In general, I feel like people here are very friendly. Usually, they are very willing to help out when possible and they are always eager to laugh. Oh, and be friends. I've just befriended a young morocan named Soufiane Jennane in his first or second year of high school (lycée in France).

There is one thing about this market - it makes a lot of garbage. I even saw a guy cleaning out his tire hub before driving because it was so full of plastic bags. That said, the city of Lille has made provisions for that as once the market is packed up, large garbage trucks come in and begin the clean up.

Sundays, in genral, are slow in France. Most shops are closed and, truth be told, it makes sense. Its a day of rest; wish I could go back to my apartment a make some beouf bourgignon (probably very much mis-spelt).

....7 hours later....

Just had a wonderful "french" afternoon at the local pub. I was sitting down writing on my tablet when a girl came up to me to ask what make it was. We got chatting and before you knew it, I was asked to join their table inside where her boyfriend and another stranger was sitting. Her name was Barbara, the boyfriend, Steeve ( yes, with two 'e's) and the professeur remy, like remy-martin. It was awesome. We just laughed and talked all day long about nothing in particular. I don't know how to put it into words, but I was just so much fun. I can't think of a better way to finish one's first weekend in Lille.

Et donc tout le mode, bienvenue a la France!

 Some colours from the open air market

 Everybody here has one of those bags with the 2 wheels that you drag along. In this case, 2 old women (a daughter and a mother I suppose) wearing exactly the same coat, pants and boots were wobbling along their way after a day of shopping. It was too cute!

 The fresh market happens outdoors at the Marché de Wazemmes. Here, only fresh produce from around mainly France (and its colonies), or at most Europe, are sold. Prices are very reasonable (and of course change depending on who you are!) For example, a kilo of fresh clementines or oranges cost about 1.20E -- or if your a blatent tourist like me, coming at the end of the day and only wanting 5, 1.00E. Lol...

 After a day of marketing, friends and strangers come to one of the many little cafés and bars that surround the square. Musicians of every sort, mainly from gypsy decent I think, `work`for a few cents or Euros by entertaining you with their songs.  The next few photos were taken from the bar just beside the one that this photo was taken in front of. 



 Some of the many characters from the Lille area. There`s Remy, the economics professor; Remi, the unemployed; Barbara, the student in city design from Bordeaux; her visiting boyfriend Steeve; and the guy who`s name I still can`t remember (even after 5 hours of hanging out with him and hearing his name multiple times... I think it started with an M or a C... maybe...) There was also a Pierre and a Jacques at some point throughout the 7 hours of being there that I don`t have a picture of.
I wish I could do this more in Canada. It was so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment